Re: Apple Airport Extreme IPv6 problems?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sun Sep 16 10:21:07 2007

On 16-sep-2007, at 10:46, Andy Davidson wrote:

Since this conversation has already talked about behaviour when encountering AAAA vs A, I am worried that a browser running on a dual-stack laptop might cache the AAAA returned when it has some v6 connectivity, and then refuse to look again for the A when I pick it up and take it somewhere with only v4 connectivity.

Hm, yes, that would suck. I've never seen problems with this with MacOS, though. I haven't used anything else both long and mobile enough to make a difinitive statement, but I think you'll be allright: when an application tries to do IPv6 when there is no IPv6 connectivity, MacOS/BSD/Windows detect this and return an error rather than let the attempt time out. Not 100% sure about Linux and I think Solaris had some trouble in this area in the past.

We see the browser cache bite us regularly with regard to the way they dip into the cache for long-stale records today.

Does browser caching still work these days? I thought all web admins disabled it on their servers because they can't be bothered to think about which cache directives to send along with each page. I can rarely return to a previously viewed page without the browser hitting the network, in any event.