Re: decreased caching efficiency?

  • From: Dana Hudes
  • Date: Fri Oct 20 12:48:24 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <[email protected]>
To: "Dana Hudes" <[email protected]>
Cc: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2000 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: decreased caching efficiency?

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 10:24:27AM -0400, Dana Hudes wrote:
> > No, you are interfering with my revenue stream by preventing
> > my getting credit for the banner impression.
>
> Tough.  Banner ads aren't a guaranteed form of revenue.

Neither is being an ISP a guarantee of revenue.

I have a guarantee that if an ad displays my account is credited.
Its contractual. Not even electronic contract, paper executed by both parties.

I dare say the only ones sure to make profit in this are Cisco/Juniper/Nortel/Lucent/Foundry et al
(each to different levels based on products ). without their equipment none of us have any revenue.

> How would you feel if I said my cache at home filters banner
> content out?

I hope my JavaScript would detect this and refuse to display the photograph.
> You do not have a guaranteed right to spew
> advertisements.

Yes I do. I don't have rights to spew ads on other peoples content, but my content is mine.
I can have the page refuse to display without the ads if I so choose.

>If banner revenue is a large part of your
> revenue model, I think you need to consider revising it.
>
> > right. your customers pay you to get them the packets they asked for and if
> > they want to visit my site and see my content and your cache breaks that,
> > you're not delivering what your customers requested. My site won't deliver
> > content in most of the pages without the ads displaying.
>
> Not having a site that is cache friendly is the equivalent of
> not having a site that works with Netscape|IE|etc.  I don't see how your
> content is the responsibility of anyone else but you.
>
> > At the moment there is a timeout built in while I wait for the ad network
> > to increase server capacity to meet demand.
> > It will go away.
>
> Ahh, so your page is disgustingly slow, and you want to keep it
> that way.

No, it doesn't delay unless the ads are delayed. If the ads come right up the photo loads right away.
Otherwise (due to JavaScript issues that prevent use of an event-driven model) the script checks frequently to see if the ads are up.
People with slow computers that have current browsers and o/s with inadequate RAM experience slow display.

My content is my property not yours.