Re: decreased caching efficiency?

  • From: Dana Hudes
  • Date: Fri Oct 20 09:50:07 2000

I vehemently disagree with the statement that impressions do not make any sense,
only clickthroughs. There is such a thing as brand awareness, a situation where
a banner ad is good for itself even if it doesn't lead to click through.

It is NOT for YOU to decide what business model makes sense for MY
business relationship with MY advertisers.

I pay my ISP to carry IP packets around. Caching is acceptable in some cases
but not in others. In some cases certainly your cache is in fact a copyright violation.

In general I do not want people to have my photos stored in their browser cache (much less permanently saved).
I do actually have plans to change around some things in my site to take advantage
of browser and network caching (e.g. putting the style sheet in a separate file,
ditto the JavaScript and any other constant information I can).

When I switch to CGI-based delivery of images the cache will of course become pass-through
since there will be no file to cache just a stream of bytes....