Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Robert E. Seastrom
  • Date: Sat Dec 29 07:37:02 2007

Mark Smith <[email protected]> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:50:01 -0500
> "Robert E. Seastrom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd really, really, really like to have DHCP6 on the Mac.  Autoconfig
>> is not sufficient for this task unless there is some kind of trick you
>> can do to make the eui-64 come out the same for both interfaces (don't
>> think so).
>
> Don't know if Mac's can do bridging, but under Linux, all you'd need to
> do would be create bridge instance, assign the two or more interfaces to the
> bridge, and have DHCPv6 use the bridge virtual interface.

The problem is that there is no DHCPv6 for the Mac (well, I suppose I
could try building it by hand and see how far I get).  I'm pretty sure
that Macs aren't set up to do a layer 2 bridge group between their
interfaces, and moreover I think this is risky behavior in terms of
creating a loop if something goes wrong on the laptop even if the host
OS supports it.

                                        ---rob