Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Wed Dec 26 11:27:48 2007

In a message written on Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 12:43:45AM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> RA is a shotgun.  All hosts on a segment get the same gateway.  I have
> no idea what a host on multiple segments with different gateways would
> do.  Hosting environments can get complex thanks to customer

I would like to point out that in IPv4 we have ICMP Router
Advertisement messages.  I have never seen them used on a production
network.  I know one of the worries is security, that a compromised host
could send out advertisements, drawing traffic to it that it can then
snoop and pass on to the real gateway.

Having not looked in great detail, I am unclear if IPv6 has done
something to fix this concern or not.

Is this feature going to get turned off when the first worm comes along
that spoofs RA's

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org