Re: Spain was offline

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 15:09:59 2006

At 02:36 PM 9/1/2006, Joe Abley wrote:

On 1-Sep-2006, at 13:47, Martin Hannigan wrote:

I can't get a TLD zone?
*You* can do anything, Marty! You are the man! :-)
Well, let's rephrase that. Anyone can't get a TLD zone?
And no, you are the man. :)

But back to the root servers. Are you
agreering with me that if I announce F and I root's netblocks
inside of my own network that everyone would be ok with that?
I'm not involved with policy at ISC or RIPE, but I would expect that
if someone hijacked their netblocks they would have something to say
about it.

C'mon Joe, straight answer on that one. :)
That's as straight as it gets :-)

Thanks! Much appreciated.

What could F or I do if an operator were advertising
those blocks internally? Consider them no different than
blackholes. It's the same concept.

The point is that there's little reason to believe that
this couldn't be done by any operator or other entity
(OpenDNS?) technically, legally and legitimately.

[ Note: F and I are just the simple examples. ]

--
Martin Hannigan (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation (w) 617-395-8574