Re: Spain was offline

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 15:52:57 2006

On 1-Sep-2006, at 15:07, Martin Hannigan wrote:

Well, let's rephrase that. Anyone can't get a TLD zone?
While there are many smaller TLD zones that don't get updated very often and which have wide-open AXFR to all and sundry, I'm betting that the majority of zones that people on this list care about either update sufficiently rapidly that zone synchronisation is non-trivial, or have zone transfer restrictions in place, or both.

What could F or I do if an operator were advertising
those blocks internally? Consider them no different than
blackholes. It's the same concept.
If you want an answer worth reading, then ask ISC or RIPE. I'm sure this is something that has occurred to them to think about.

I could pontificate about the freedom of individual operators to do whatever they please versus the wider issue of coherence and consistency in the DNS, but it'd just be so much Friday-afternoon noise.

Joe