Re: PI space and colocation

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Wed Jan 18 15:14:10 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 3:03 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:

Is it a reasonable alternative to establish a BGP connection with the
provider over ethernet?
It is technical feasible, but I don't think 'reasonable'. Stub ASes are pollution on the 'Net.
We've done this as well. Whats wrong with letting the customer use their ASN and BGP peering with them in your data center? They might even get a connection to someone else there and multihome again. Either way, the routes are getting into the global table...does the end of the aspath matter that much?
It adds zero useful data to the global table, but increases RAM, CPU, etc. on every router looking at the global table.

Given how vociferously people argue against items in the table which _do_ add useful data, superfluous info should be avoided whenever possible. IMHO, of course.

--
TTFN,
patrick