Re: PI space and colocation

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Wed Jan 18 15:05:18 2006

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

If one gets PI space from ARIN for their network, then moves the servers
to a rack at a data center (still using the space efficiently), will most
colocation providers announce this space for them, or would most providers
require them to take allocated space from them?
I don't know about "most", but every one I've asked has done it.
We'd do it as long as everything looked legit (i.e. it really seems to be the customer's IP space).

Is it a reasonable alternative to establish a BGP connection with the
provider over ethernet?
It is technical feasible, but I don't think 'reasonable'. Stub ASes are pollution on the 'Net.
We've done this as well. Whats wrong with letting the customer use their ASN and BGP peering with them in your data center? They might even get a connection to someone else there and multihome again. Either way, the routes are getting into the global table...does the end of the aspath matter that much?

Jon Lewis | I route
Senior Network Engineer | therefore you are
Atlantic Net |