RE: PI space and colocation

  • From: Chris Ranch
  • Date: Wed Jan 18 15:40:23 2006

On Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:10 PM, Pat wrote:

> >> It is technical feasible, but I don't think 'reasonable'.
> Stub ASes
> >> are pollution on the 'Net.
> >
> > We've done this as well.  Whats wrong with letting the customer use
> > their ASN and BGP peering with them in your data center?
> They might
> > even get a connection to someone else there and multihome again.
> > Either way, the routes are getting into the global table...does the
> > end of the aspath matter that much?
>
> It adds zero useful data to the global table, but increases
> RAM, CPU, etc. on every router looking at the global table.
>
> Given how vociferously people argue against items in the
> table which _do_ add useful data, superfluous info should be
> avoided whenever possible.  IMHO, of course.

In the past under these circumstances, if the customer still insists on
BGP after I strongly recommeded just a static DFG, I'd peer with the
customer with a private AS (64512-65535).  Then they usually ask me to
annouce a DFG to them.  Sometimes they'd want a full table.  Sigh.

At least they'd have the future flexibility of adding another provider
without much change.  I've personally done that too.

Chris