Strange issue involving sampling

  • From: Peering
  • Date: Wed Jan 18 15:11:09 2006

Title: Strange issue involving sampling

First, apologies if this isn't the right place, but I was hoping to hit a lot of networking folks in one shot and this seemed like the likely venue.

I have this problem where a customer of mine has issues getting to secure websites (https sites like Charles Schwab's).  It doesn't happen all the time, maybe once a month or so.  We went to Juniper with the issue (we're using M-20s as our edge routers) and they couldn't figure it out, but one of our engineers found that the config pasted below (with proprietary info removed) fixed the problem.  The only problem is that even with this config, we have to restart the sampling daemon every month or so because the problem will come back.  Understandably, the customer would prefer to have a more permanent solution.

Anyone have an idea why this one customer on my entire network would have this issue?  Supposedly the customer had Cisco come out and look at their network and they couldn't find any reason for it either.

routerx# show | compare rollback 0
[edit]
-  forwarding-options {
-      sampling {
-          input {
-              family inet {
-                  rate 1;
-              }
-          }
-          output {
-              file filename customer.sample;
-          }
-      }
-  }
[edit firewall]