Re: shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: John Payne
  • Date: Sat Oct 15 00:08:42 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 3:33 PM, william(at)elan.net wrote:

No. The kicker is that the applications needs no such smarts and
shim6 will take care of this for all applications on the system on
the network level.
Not directly aimed at William: As others have said before (and I finally listened) PLEASE take this discussion to the shim6 list.

However, I'm still at a loss as to how the shim on the end node is going to know about the operational policy, cost implications and site level load balancing requirements to do this _correctly_.

I'm also undecided about how I feel about the extra packets caused by the (I forget the official term) discovery packets for shim6 for an end site with say a hundred machines each with thousands of short lived TCP sessions.