Re: shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Fri Oct 14 15:36:35 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 [email protected] wrote:

Since shim6 requires changes in protocol stacks on nodes, my
impression has been that it isn't a _site_ multihoming solution,
but rather a _node_ multihoming solution.  Is my impression incorrect?
There is no shortage of rough corners to file down, and I am behind
on my shim6 mail, but the general idea is to let end sites multi-home
in the "bag-o-PA-prefixes" style and let the nodes within that site
use their multiple globally-unique addresses (one per upstream, say)
to allow sessions to survive rehoming events.
	the kicker here is that the applications then need some
	serious smarts to do proper source address selection.
No. The kicker is that the applications needs no such smarts and
shim6 will take care of this for all applications on the system on
the network level.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks