Re: shim6 (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Mon Oct 17 02:05:14 2005

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, John Payne wrote:
I'm also undecided about how I feel about the extra packets caused by the (I forget the official term) discovery packets for shim6 for an end site with say a hundred machines each with thousands of short lived TCP sessions.
The shim6 capability detection can (and I expect it will) be postposed to be done only when arbitrary policy criteria have been met (e.g., the session has lasted more than 30 seconds). It doesn't need to be done before establishing the session.

IMHO, this is a MAJOR benefit of the current shim6 approach, compared to other mechanisms or approaches (e.g., HIP).

--
Pekka Savola "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy kingdom bleeds."