Re: How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

  • From: Anthony Pardini
  • Date: Tue Jun 25 17:34:54 2002

Jabber supports SSL connections

We run an internal Jabber server which all employees log into. This eliminates the reliance on an outside server (AOL/Yahoo/etc) as well as the security concerns of same outside servers.

Of course it's still cleartext over TCP, so it's not 100% secure but it's localized traffic.

We find it invaluable especially since our department has become geographically diverse. To be able to pop "Can you look at TT#XYZ?" vs an email or phone call is quite nice.

-Scott

--
Scott Call      Router Geek, ATGi, home of $6.95 Prime Rib
"...Everything's going to be just great again!"