Re: How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

  • From: Scott Call
  • Date: Tue Jun 25 15:42:08 2002

my question for the group is, do chat programs (IM, IRC, yahoo) serve a
substantial network support purpose or are they more of a distraction,
allowing staff to communicate with friends, relatives, drifters, interlopers
on company time?

We run an internal Jabber server which all employees log into. This eliminates the reliance on an outside server (AOL/Yahoo/etc) as well as the security concerns of same outside servers.

Of course it's still cleartext over TCP, so it's not 100% secure but it's localized traffic.

We find it invaluable especially since our department has become geographically diverse. To be able to pop "Can you look at TT#XYZ?" vs an email or phone call is quite nice.

-Scott

--
Scott Call Router Geek, ATGi, home of $6.95 Prime Rib
"...Everything's going to be just great again!"