How important is IM? was RE: How important is the PSTN

  • From: Christopher J. Wolff
  • Date: Tue Jun 25 15:16:43 2002

Jane,

This brings up a good point about IM.  IMHO, IM is a security risk and I am
establishing a company standard where users behind the firewall are
prohibited from using IM, IRC, and peer-to-peer file sharing programs.  My
opinion is that these types of programs contribute more to lack of
productivity than to real problem solving.

So my question for the group is, do chat programs (IM, IRC, yahoo) serve a
substantial network support purpose or are they more of a distraction,
allowing staff to communicate with friends, relatives, drifters, interlopers
on company time?

Regards,
Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO
Broadband Laboratories