Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

  • From: Shawn McMahon
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 16:30:50 2000

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 04:18:30PM +0100, Morgan Dollard wrote:

> I disagree, IPv6 is already significantly being deployed in the Inernet2. So
> far though that is only used by University and research orgs, kinda like
> Arpanet was in teh begining. Significant new applications are being deployed
> for it specifically, and great innovations are taking place. Eventually,
> that will replace the Internet as we know it today, and IPv6 will be
> implemented, unless someone comes up with anything better, which isnt that
> unlikely.

The Internet as we know it took 30 years to come to everybody, and it was
providing something that essentially wasn't provided before.

Internet2 provides the same thing, only faster; so why do we believe it will
replace the existing solution *EVER*, much less in a shorter time frame than
30 years?

The Internet is going to be with us for a very long time.  Emphasis should be
on fixing it, not replacing it.