RE: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 17:28:19 2000

> The Internet as we know it took 30 years to come to everybody, and it was
> providing something that essentially wasn't provided before.
>
> Internet2 provides the same thing, only faster; so why do we believe it will
> replace the existing solution *EVER*, much less in a shorter time frame than
> 30 years?

The timeframe may be considerably less.  Technology appears to be evolving at
an increasingly rapid pace.  Just because it took as a couple of thousand years
from throwing rocks to fighting with swords, doesn't mean the next step will be
equally slow.  Particularly not if you subscribe to the theory that innovation
overall increases the speed/frequency of innovation itself..

> The Internet is going to be with us for a very long time.  Emphasis should be
> on fixing it, not replacing it.

Fixes do come as upgrades and as enhancements.  That's what IPv6 is.

Sounds like somebody is getting nostalgic about the v4 world here.  What's the
point?  Hmm, resistance to change, hmm, odd, resistance to change is bad, hmm.
HMM.  Change is good.  Otherwise evolution and innovation is not possible.

--
Christian Kuhtz, Sr. Network Architect              Architecture, BellSouth.net
<[email protected]> -wk, <[email protected]> -hm                       Atlanta, GA