Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Fri Sep 01 17:34:01 2000

> The Internet as we know it took 30 years to come to everybody, and it was
> providing something that essentially wasn't provided before.
>
> Internet2 provides the same thing, only faster; so why do we believe it will
> replace the existing solution *EVER*, much less in a shorter time frame than
> 30 years?
>
> The Internet is going to be with us for a very long time.  Emphasis should be
> on fixing it, not replacing it.

Is it just me or is the Internet2 not a very big deal? Its based on OC-48c
and OC-192c technology as far as I know, so why would its adoption change
_anything_ except the some switch or router gear that guarantees QoS?

I admit my information may be woefully out of date; I saw an article in
InternetWeek about transfering a file at 40Mbit/s. I wouldn't see the big
deal at 400Mbit/s.

Deepak Jain
AiNET