Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 01:19:20 2000

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Richard Jimmerson wrote:

> Please keep in mind this policy is a result of discussions
> held at the ARIN public policy meeting in Calgary earlier
> this year.

So who actually goes to these things, and was the new policy a later
result of discussions at the meeting, or was there actually some sort of
vote at the meeting?  i.e. was the policy decision made by one of the ARIN
boards or by the ARIN members?  Since ARIN subscription customers are, by
default, ARIN members, will we be given the opportunity to vote or at
least express an opinion on such issues via proxy in the future, or do we
have to send a representative in order for our voice to be heard?

> The policy does state ARIN will accept IP-based hosting
> as justification for an allocation if an exception is
> warranted. ARIN is looking to the community to define
> these exceptions and finds the discussions being held
> here to be very helpful. This information will be included

Why would ARIN announce a new policy with completely vague rules?  Nobody
knows what constitutes a valid exception.  Apparently, even ARIN doesn't
know yet.  If I were applying for an increased allocation today, who would
decide if the thousands of IPs that we and our customers have used for IP
based virtual hosts are a valid or wasteful use of IPs?..the individual at
ARIN processing our request?

> These discussions may create changes to the current
> policy, perhaps by clearly defining a list of exceptions,
> or may even eliminate the new policy altogether. Your
> feedback on this mailing list and at the upcoming public
> policy meeting is important.

So a policy was announced before it was fully fleshed out.  It may get
fleshed...or it may get flushed.  What was the point?  Are you just trying
to rattle the cages of every ISP in NA to see how many reactions you can
get?

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |