Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

  • From: Ted Beatie
  • Date: Thu Aug 31 00:49:25 2000

Quoth David R. Conrad ([email protected]):

> "transit service providers".  In my experience, webhost providers are
> generally not considered transit providers.  Webhosting providers (and
> other non-"transit" sites) should contact their upstream IPv6 (tunnel or
> otherwise) provider(s) for IPv6 address space.  They should NOT be
> obtaining space from ARIN or other RIRs.  Anything else will simply
> recreate the swamp.

I think, like everything, this depends on circumstance.  For example, we
are more or less a content provider.  However, we do not source from a
single location.  With 15 POPs spread throughout the US and Europe, and
more on the way, with exceedingly non-contiguous space obtained from 6
different upstreams, it would benefit ourselves as well as our many
providers to have our own PI space.

Of course, convincing ARIN of this is proving most difficult :)

			 --ted

--
Ted Beatie                                              [email protected]
Sr. Network Engineer                                         +1-781-376-1108