Re: peering wars revisited? PSI vs Exodus

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Wed Apr 05 01:14:10 2000

On Tue, 04 Apr 2000 21:16:55 PDT, Ehud Gavron said:
> Your list of people below are already emailing me to
> say "no no, we just gave him info"
>
> You're not journalist.

(I'm assuming here that Gordon starts off with "Hi, I'm Gordon Cook,
with the Cook Report", and not social-engineering with false names etc ;)

Umm.. given the list of names for 1998 through 2000, and the fact that
I *know* that at least some of them were aware of what Gordon writes
when they gave him info, I think it's safe to conclude that at least
a good fraction of Gordon's listed sources were giving him information
fully aware of where it was going to end up.  If you tell somebody info
knowing it's going into a well-publicized newsletter, you're talking to
a journalist.  It may not be Tom Brokaw, but it's a journalist. ;)

I have to admit, the last time I dealt with a news agency, nobody
bothered asking for credentials.  Had something to do with the fact
that they pulled up in a van that had 'News 7' on the side, started
off with "Hi, I'm from News 7, here to talk to the director about
the recent FCC bandwidth auction", and they  had video
cameras and employee badges and everything to match.

So.. *should* I have asked for more ID before I pointed them at the
right office?  And more importantly, how is said ID implemented on
the Internet?  I don't think they tattoo 'Journalist' on your head
when you get licenced, and I'd not trust a JPEG of a picture - it's
too easy to fake with Photoshop. ;)

Now let's face it guys:

1) Gordon's a journalist, or what passes for one
2) We're stuck with him

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Operating Systems Analyst
				Virginia Tech