Cooked reporting

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Wed Apr 05 12:39:44 2000

At 01:11 AM 4/5/00 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
Now let's face it guys:

1) Gordon's a journalist, or what passes for one
2) We're stuck with him

Some points to consider:

Good journalism is a real profession, guided by some significant and well-established principles of practise, such as confirming information through independent means, and seeking both sides of a story.

Gordon does neither of these.

He frequently passes out unconfirmed rumors without naming their source. And as noted in this thread, we only got a 'publicity release' from Exodus, with no information from PSI. Peering arrangements change frequently, so we have no information about the REAL news, namely the "why" of this change.

At base, this thread pertains to a manipulation of Gordon, effectively to Exodus' benefit, since it paints PSI in a bad light.

Comparing the publication of the letter to the Pentagon Papers misses the fundamental point that the Papers were extensive source material, not a second-hand publicity-release. (Don't be misled by the fact that the publicity release was labeled confidential and sent only to Exodus customers. It was a document engineered by Exodus for circulation.)

Gordon does the community an excellent service by publishing summaries of technical issues, as told to him by experts in the field. (As I recall, his extensive listing of names managed to miss my own... Gordon can be a bit selective, sometimes.)

However Gordon's own analysis of things, especially concerning motivations, is pure and unsubstantiated conspiracy theory.

Self-exposition can be helpful: