Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Fri Jan 14 23:43:41 2000

[ On Friday, January 14, 2000 at 16:48:51 (-0800), Randy Bush wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Fw: Administrivia: ORBS
>
> > (* obviously not every system listed in ORBS has been used to forward
> > actual spam of course -- why even I have a test machine listed in there
> > for test purposes!  ;-)
>
> what if there are systems blocked by orbs which are truely not mail relays,
> for which there has never been evidence of mail relaying, from which spam
> has never eminated, ...?

Like I said, I have a test machine listed in ORBS for testing purposes
only.  I got it there by explicitly allowing my mailer to relay the ORBS
test (and only the ORBS test! :-).

However what of it?  Who cares?  *I* don't, obviously.

And who exactly is going to prove it?  If suddenly your machine Randy
shows up in ORBS but you really need to send me e-mail from it are you
going to show me all your mailer logs and allow me to corroborate them
with all of your net-neighbours just to prove it?  Who do I believe?

Who really cares if there are in fact a few odd-ball vigilantes out
there who are abusing the ORBS testing service just to scan for open
relays?  I'm certainly not going to blame ORBS for the actions of those
few bad apples.  They are clearly starting to spoil things for the rest
of us, but all that really means is we all have to be vigilant and make
sure we stop them if we find them and that we don't knowing let them on
our networks while at the same time cleaning up all open relays we find
ourselves with a diligence that would put such vigilantes to shame.

If anyone seriously believes that the stale DB listings published by
ORBS are really making the spammers jobs any easier I've got some prime
ocean-front swamp^H^H^H^H^Hbeach for sale in Saskatchewan....  It's real
cheap at just a cool million dollars (USA $$$, that is!) and you'll just
love the weather!  You might have to wait a million years or so before
it's an active ocean beach again, but that's your problem....

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <[email protected]>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>