Re: Another driver for v6?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu Oct 30 03:15:58 2008

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, David W. Hankins wrote:

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 06:32:31PM -0400, Steven King wrote:
Does anyone see any benefits to beginning a small deployment of IPv6 now
even if its just for internal usage?

It is almost lunacy to deploy IPv6 in a customer-facing sense (note for example Google's choice to put its AAAA on a separate FQDN). At

Could you please elaborate on this point? My data presented
<http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/v6ops/v6ops.2008/msg01582.html> indicates that there are very very few (the longer I collected the data, the better the ratio got) who cannot properly fetch a resource that has A/AAAA.

this point, I'd say people are still trying to figure out how clients
will migrate to IPv6.  Which seems like a pretty bad time to still be
trying to figure that out, but ohwell.

6to4 and Teredo traffic is increasing very rapidly, so that seems to be one path taken right now:

<http://ipv6.tele2.net/mrtg/total.html>

(We have all our IPv6 related stats and info on <http://ipv6.tele2.net/>)

But yes, how to get native to residential users is still not hammered out.

And of course you need to "run your own dog food" on internal LANs before you start telling customers these IPv6 address thingies are useful.

Quite, I think OSS/BSS is going to be a bigger challenge than actually moving the IPv6 packets.

IPv6: It's kind of like storing dry food in preparation for the
     apocalypse.

If you actually KNOW the apocalypse is coming (but not when), this is correct.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]