Re: [NANOG] OSPF minutia, and, technote publication venues

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Mon May 05 21:21:25 2008
On 5 May 2008, at 20:50, Nathan Ward wrote:

> Perhaps what would make more sense here is Foundry (F5, etc.) building
> an anycast feature - anycast prefixes are withdrawn when a cluster
> relying on that anycast prefix goes below a threshold.

I'm not sure exactly what feature is required, here. f5s of my
acquaintance are already very capable of making OSPF LSAs based on
virtual servers' pools being non-empty. Do it on more than one f5 in
the same area, and you're anycasting service availability with the
current feature set.

The general reason why people prefer to find alternative solutions
rather than use dedicated load-balancers are that the dedicated load-
balancers are hellishly more expensive than the $5 gigabit switch you
probably already have in your garage.

Joe