Re: [NANOG] OSPF minutia, and, technote publication venues

  • From: Nathan Ward
  • Date: Mon May 05 20:50:34 2008

On 6/05/2008, at 4:07 AM, Paul Vixie wrote:

> i dearly do
> wish that something like a "service advertisement protocol" existed,
> that
> did what OSPF ECMP did, without a router operator effectively giving
> every
> customer the ability to inject other customer routes, or default
> routes.

This stuff about customers and things sounds too hard.

Steve, have you actually had to do anycast without having control of
the routing hop in front of your service providing hosts, or is this
getting unnecessarily complicated? I'd imagine that the ability to
install routing equipment would be a pre-requisite for any anycast
service deployment..

Perhaps what would make more sense here is Foundry (F5, etc.) building
an anycast feature - anycast prefixes are withdrawn when a cluster
relying on that anycast prefix goes below a threshold. These load
balancing switches already do all this service health check stuff and
have done for years, so why are we re-inventing the wheel?

--
Nathan Ward

ps. I'm amused that your message that started with "i think the
minutia is good, especially after a long weekend of layer 9 threads."
ended with a paragraph of L9 :-)