RE: YouTube IP Hijacking

  • From: Randy Epstein
  • Date: Tue Feb 26 07:40:40 2008

Arnd wrote:

> You _need_ a license to drive a car, fly a plane etc. but until now you
> dont need to show that youre skilled enough to run a border router. Good
> idea? I dont think so.

My point was that even with a license, accidents still occur.

> I believe that people who run ASNs should have the knowledge for it and
> that _someone_ should test this. Right now the LIRs seems to be the best
> institution for this. And no, i dont think the vendors should do this.

Vendors currently do train their customers and certify them.  LIRs don't and
cannot know all the gear out there and configurations from network to
network vary.  This doesn't stop route leaks, nor would this protect us from
intentional mischief.  I'm not saying it can't happen, but most leaks are
caused by accident, and I might add by trained personnel and untrained
personnel alike.

Many of the suggestions that we've been seeing regarding this subject have
pros and cons, but some even solve both problems: both accidental and
intentional leaks.

I am not against training personnel, but your solution doesn't resolve
either of the above for the most part.

> -- Arnd

Randy