Re: IBM report reviews Internet crime

  • From: Andre Gironda
  • Date: Wed Feb 13 17:55:52 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=j2MENltDtRfGLKejMLjwmk0gqWttWm2DSPieHO1647A=; b=atU4oAVfTQCLK7La+WVPNG0iixKO59OyiP4BUXr61Z0J32BlohwgN/7qkKPRezCcpGYr5qCqEvFa5adcKmrgeZ/ejSfLtCsf8CC6T12PAJApZg+xGXNwysnl76kjGewKRF2FQRFPzwxREs/lZr79iInMxxt61VlibxcWanCWpUQ=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:reply-to:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=diPw/iZK9OWx+hOgm4a+u/o/nmrLZMEi2hNHmuwLXFs65WbmJ9nrVI497/QVPs9SgXKrXbxcoYBcMayCifCsfpLytmwxwBp1IDyh27oQxMBmk9d1/SQxUtQqoJpCJSdRXayhYdK58X84Wq7sg+aW0bTCXPBjIWNnSyuulrgDCIE=

On Feb 13, 2008 3:28 PM, JC Dill <[email protected]> wrote:
JC,

Nice conjecture.

> I'm really surprised that ISPs haven't banded together to sue Microsoft
> for negligently selling and distributing an insecure OS that is an
> Attractive Nuisance - causing the ISPs (who don't own the OS infected
> computers) harm from the network traffic the infected OSs send, and
> causing them untold support dollars to handle the problem.

I'm really surprised, too.  However, it's more complicated than that.
Read the book, "Geekonomics" for more information on this topic.

> If every big ISP joined a class action lawsuit to force Microsoft to pay
> up for the time ISPs spend fixing viruses on Windows computer, Microsoft
> would get a LOT more proactive about solving this problem directly.  The
> consumers have no redress against MS because of the EULA, but this
> doesn't extend to other computer owners (e.g. ISPs) who didn't agree to
> the EULA on the infected machine but who are impacted by the infection.

Hence the "Trustworthy Computing Initiative" which was started by Bill
Gates / Craig Mundie in 2002 -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustworthy_Computing

Only now we're too late - Bill has a parachute.

Cheers,
Andre