Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Sun Dec 23 01:23:07 2007

>>> There is a huge detent at /48
>> other than the perennial operational pontification from on high by the
>> gods of the ietf (brought to us by the folk who brought us the wonderful
>> TLA, NLA, etc. classfulness++), could you elucidate?
> From one angle, last time I looked, the RIRs were converging on that as
> acceptable minimum for a single PI allocation.

look again

> /48 is a large enough block that single site however you choose to
> define that, is not going to have to renumber out of it due to inability
> to subnet.

one: as smb says, no amount turns out to be enough in the long run
two: my point is that, for the reasonably forseable future, hard to
     see need for more than 256 routing segments needed by an end
     consumer site

> If you mean there's no detent between /48 and /56 wouldn't you a
> wholesale operator determine that based on the need and guidance from
> your rir?

you said there was a huge detent at /48.  i am trying to see how you got
there.  excuse my density, but i still can not.

> If you're asking why ipng doesn't incorporate the lessons of cidr
> (they're both responses to the same problem), then you tell me, you were
> there and I was in high-school.

expedience and politics ruled over prudent engineering.  classic tvtf.

randy