Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Fri Dec 21 15:19:31 2007

IPv6 is supposed to last a whole lot longer than the current horizon for any of our imaginations, and given the large amount of space in play it seems prudent to err on the side of giving people more rather than less so as to avoid having to revisit this issue later.

This is more a question of growth rate. If you apply the growth rate "expected" at the inception of IPv4... and compare that to the "expected" growth rate of IPv6... then go extrapolate to calculate "actual"...

well, lets just say 2^128 grows a lot slower than some hockey stick patterns I've seen.

Does IPv4 space become the "swamp" of IPv6 world then?

DJ