Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Fri Dec 21 11:57:15 2007

Once upon a time, Owen DeLong <[email protected]> said:
> I think it makes sense to assign as follows:
>
> /64 for the average current home user.
> /56 for any home user that wants more than one subnet
> /48 for any home user that can show need.

Dumb question alert: why the 8 bit boundary?  That makes sense for IPv4,
where reverse DNS delegation is cumbersome on non-octet boundaries, but
IPv6 reverse DNS can be delegated at the nibble boundary.  Why not
assign /60, /52, etc.?  A /60 would probably satisfy virtually all home
users (up to 16 subnets) for example.
--
Chris Adams <[email protected]>