RE: IPv4 BGP Table Reduction Analysis - Prefixes Filter by RIRs Minimum Allocations Boundaries

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Fri Dec 21 16:12:24 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Greenhalgh, John wrote:

For example, we have a /19 allocated from APNIC and announce this from
our Hong Kong network. Within that /19 we have assigned a /21 to our
Australia site which is discontiguous from Hong Kong. This /21 is
announced upstream to two ASes, and being in the 210/7 block would be
filtered.

We have several discontiguous networks around the world and when these
sites started it could not be justified to use a min RIR allocation for
the site.

That's unfortunate, but your problem doesn't scale. If every network got an RIR allocation, and then subnetted it among several discontiguous POPs and polluted the global route table with those subnets, the routing table would be even worse than what we have today. How much are you willing to pay every other network to carry your deaggregates? What makes your deaggregates special and more worthy of a free ride than any other deaggregating network?

With the holiday and new years fast approaching, and our upgrade kits not quite fully assembled (much less tested), I just filtered you (before seeing your message) as we're now filtering APNIC on "RIR Minimums". We were just 2399 routes away from our Sup2s doing bad things. Now we're 20306 routes away...which leaves a much more comfortable margin of safety.

Looking forward to seeing your routes early next year...after we've upgraded.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |