Re: Any help for Yahoo! Mail arrogance?

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Mon Oct 29 22:13:55 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=PIEIdxLSnKieCpWDGknH6ApQY/3J/aabbPevYcUTSPY=; b=cKLNJV70K+TPN3h51ioKhQGg0P5tC3cAYi5xtcPKS/b/7NcY47Hte6PJKJD3UXhMhbEXTR9Dn5/3E+Ycv/jl5tPjwtQV6wVR45Qr+ToGEDNSF5At6Nx37ZnsoLScgIQsKZIHMlT9rNB3+08R1WY2VyMYD9fAj5fSTs4hEDd94rQ=

On Oct 29, 2007 11:01 PM, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <[email protected]> wrote:

>         "Fix your forwarding a lot better". Not sure what this
> means. My machines are MX's for the clients domain. They
> accept it, and either forward it around locally to one of the
> processing MX's or ARE one one of the processing MX's. Its

Yes, that's just how forwarding and .forwards work.

And if you mix inbound email (much dirtier than outbound email even if
you run a secure shop) into a mail stream that includes email sent out
by your clients, you potentially have random botnet spam, spam from
sbl listed spammers etc (in other words, a lot of "block on sight"
stuff) leaking through your IP, the same IP that a bunch of your other
customers use to mail out to their aunt mary on yahoo.

The numbers from that one .forward are enough to screw up the rest of
your numbers, a 5% or less complaint rate on email from your IP (and
believe me, if your user is jackass enough to click report spam on
email that comes through his .forward the complaints can go up real
high) .. is enough to get your IP blocked.

Dealing with tier 1 support anywhere (not the least of where is yahoo)
is always a pain.  Which is why what I am suggesting is avoidance and
prevention rather than going around alternatively begging yahoo to fix
something or accusing them on nanog of being arrogant.

--srs