Re: Any help for Yahoo! Mail arrogance?

  • From: Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET
  • Date: Tue Oct 30 10:22:51 2007

> On Oct 29, 2007 11:01 PM, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >         "Fix your forwarding a lot better". Not sure what this
> > means. My machines are MX's for the clients domain. They
> > accept it, and either forward it around locally to one of the
> > processing MX's or ARE one one of the processing MX's. Its
>
> Yes, that's just how forwarding and .forwards work.
>
> And if you mix inbound email (much dirtier than outbound email even if
> you run a secure shop) into a mail stream that includes email sent out
> by your clients, you potentially have random botnet spam, spam from
> sbl listed spammers etc (in other words, a lot of "block on sight"
> stuff) leaking through your IP, the same IP that a bunch of your other
> customers use to mail out to their aunt mary on yahoo.

	AH, I see the confusion. We are a managed server hosting
company, not a Cable/DSL/T#/Dialup provider. The only way mail gets
sent out of here is Webmail, FormMail and Mail exploder. I'm pretty sure
none of our systems have been comprimised and forwards mail that we
don't know about.

> The numbers from that one .forward are enough to screw up the rest of
> your numbers, a 5% or less complaint rate on email from your IP (and
> believe me, if your user is jackass enough to click report spam on
> email that comes through his .forward the complaints can go up real
> high) .. is enough to get your IP blocked.

	Except for maybe unfortunately backscatter from people CLAIMING
to originate email from our clients, our outbound should be fairly low
volume and reasonably clean.

> Dealing with tier 1 support anywhere (not the least of where is yahoo)
> is always a pain.  Which is why what I am suggesting is avoidance and
> prevention rather than going around alternatively begging yahoo to fix
> something or accusing them on nanog of being arrogant.

	I'm not begging Yahoo to fix something, just to accept our mail.
I'm doing the best I can, and I'm sure to the DETRIMENT of the user, to
cut down on the spam, but short of having someone physically inspect
all email for spam and backscatter I really can't do much else (Except
get the user to have a local Webmail which I know they don't want).

		Tuc/TBOH