Re: Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Mon Oct 08 02:52:01 2007

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Mark Newton wrote:

Thought experiment: With $250 per megabit per month transit and $30 - $50 per month tail costs, what would _you_ do to create the perfect internet industry?

I would fix the problem, ie get more competition into these two areas where the prices are obvisouly way higher than in most parts of the civilised world, much higher than is motivated by the placement there in the middle of an ocean.

Perhaps it's hard to get the transoceanic cost down to european levels, but a 25 time difference, that's just too much.

And about the local tail, that's also 5-10 times higher than normal in the western world, I don't see that being motivated by some fundamental difference.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]