Re: Why do some ISP's have bandwidth quotas?

  • From: Mark Newton
  • Date: Sun Oct 07 19:12:16 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 10:33:19AM -0500, Joe Greco wrote:

 > Well, since I didn't insist that you follow any definition of "reasonable",
 > and in fact I started out by saying
 >
 > : Continued reliance on broadband users using tiny percentages of their
 > : broadband connection certainly makes the ISP business model easier, but
 > : in the long term, isn't going to work out well for the Internet's
 > : continuing evolution.

With respect, Joe, you also said this:

 # Of course, that's obvious.  The point here is that if your business is so
 # fragile that you can only deliver each broadband customer a dialup modem's
 # worth of bandwidth, something's wrong with your business.

Now, I don't know what you think you've trying to achieve by throwing around
doubts and aspersions about other peoples' business viability without the
faintest idea about the constraints said businesses are working under, but
whatever it is I doubt you're achieving it  :-)

Thought experiment:  With $250 per megabit per month transit and $30 - $50
per month tail costs, what would _you_ do to create the perfect internet
industry?

Be warned that the industry is already full of sharks who don't know what
they're talking about, and if what you suggest happens to match the business
model deployed by one of those guys who has subsequently gone broke, I
reserve the right to point and laugh derisively.

Yours,

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  [email protected] (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  [email protected]  (H)