Re: How should ISPs notify customers about Bots (Was Re: DNS Hijacking

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Tue Jul 24 12:35:22 2007

> > > Please enlighten me.
> >
> > Intercept and inspect IRC packets.  If they join a botnet channel, turn on
> > a flag in the user's account.  Place them in a garden (no IRC, no nothing,
> > except McAfee or your favorite AV/patch set).
>
> Pleaes do this at 1Gbps, really 2Gbps today and 20gbps shortly, in a cost
> effective manner.

Mmmmm... okay.  Would you like solution #1 or solution #2?  (You can pay
for solutions above and beyond that)

Solution #1:  you know you need to intercept "irc.vel.net", so you inject
an IGP /32 route for the corresponding IP address, and run it through your
IDS sensor.  Now, you're not going to be able to claim that you actually
have even 100Mbps of traffic bound for that destination, so that's well
within the capabilities of modern IDS systems.  This has the added benefit
of not hijacking someone's namespace, AND not breaking normal
communications with the remote site.

Bonus points for doing it on Linux or FreeBSD and selectively port
forwarding actual observed bot clients to a local cleansing IRCD, then
mailing off the problem IP to support so they can contact the customer
about AV and bot cleansing software, etc.

Oh, you were going to claim that your routers can't handle a few extra /32
routes?  I guess I have no help for you there.  You win.  So on to #2.

Solution #2: You really can't handle a few extra /32 routes?  Then go
ahead, and hijack that DNS, but run it to a transparent proxy server
that is in compliance with the ideas outlined above.

Cost effective?  One FreeBSD box, some freely available tools, and some
time by some junior engineer with a little IRC experience, and you have
a great tool available, which doesn't inconvenience legitimate users but
does accomplish *MORE* than what Cox did.

> Please also do this on encrypted control channels or
> channels not 'irc', also please stay 'cost effective'.

So I'm supposed to invent a solution that does WAY MORE than what Cox
was trying to accomplish, and then you'll listen?  Forget that (or
pay me).

> Additionally,
> please do NOT require in-line placement unless you can do complete
> end-to-end telco-level testing (loops, bit pattern testing, etc),

Ok.

> also
> it'd be a good idea to have a sensible management interface for these
> devices (serial port 9600 8n1 at least along with a scriptable
> ssh/telnet/text-ish cli).

Ok.

> Looking at DPI (which is required for your solution to work) you are still
> talking about paying about 500k/edge-device for a carrier-grade DPI
> solution that can reliably do +2gbps line-rate inspection and actions.

Yeah, I see that.  Not.  (I do see your blind spot, though.)

> This quickly becomes non-cost-effective if your network is more than 1
> edge device and less than 500k customers... Adding cost (operational cost
> you can only recover via increased user fees) is going to make this not
> deployable in any real network.

Uh huh.

> > Wow, I didn't even have to strain myself.
>
> sarcasim aside, this isn't a simple problem and at scale the solutions
> trim down quickly away from anything that seems 'great' :( using DNS
> and/or routing tricks to circumvent known bad behaviours are the only
> solutions that seem to fall out. Yes they aren't subscriber specific, but
> you can't get to subscriber specific capabilities without a fairly large
> cost outlay.

That's not true.

The problem is isolating the traffic in question.  Since you DO NOT HAVE
GIGABITS OF TRAFFIC destined for IRC servers, this becomes a Networking
101-style question.  A /32 host route is going to be effective.
Manipulating DNS is definitely the less desirable method, because it has
the potential for breaking more things.  But, hey, it can be done, and
with an amount of effort that isn't substantially different from the
amount of work Cox would have had to do to accomplish what they did.

... JG