Re: Question on 7.0.0.0/8

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Mon Apr 16 09:31:28 2007

On 16-apr-2007, at 14:30, <[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:

Whois, LDAP and other stuff like that only makes things worse
because this requires you to walk through the data rather than have it
available in a nice, easy to handle text file.

Yes, let's not get carried away. The data is already available in a
nice, easy to handle text file for those that simply want to look at a
simple listing. But for those who NEED to parse it with automated
systems and who NEED to know when things have changed, an IANA whois
server is a better solution.

No, it's not. My scripts currently retrieve the file, compare what's in there with what's in the database and complain when there is a difference. All simple enough. The only problem is that I need a bunch of special case logic and have to check up manually to make sure that everything is categorized correctly.

With whois, I'd need to do 256 lookups, and I'd probably have to implement the whois protocol myself (ok, trivial, but still) because I can't just use one of the 3 million HTTP utils/libraries.