Re: On-going Internet Emergency and Domain Names

  • From: Simon Lyall
  • Date: Sun Apr 01 20:06:20 2007

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Douglas Otis wrote:
> When functional information is not valid, such as incorrect name servers
> or IP addresses, this would not impose an immediate threat.  However,
> basic functional information will trace to the controlling entity.  Only
> by being able to preview this information, would comprehensive
> preemptive efforts be able to prove fully effective.

So assuming you get rid of tasting and reduce the flow of new names to
say 50,000 per day [1] exactly how are you going to preview these in any
meaningful sort of way?

Are you going to do the same for every ccTLD as well? What about domains
with constantly changing subdomains? Everything hosted in different
countries with different languages, policies and privacy laws? Believe it
or not, some countries don't even have "states" or 5 digit zip codes.

Please detail exactly what you will do if I register "trademe.ir" using
a Pakistani Registrar, a .ly contact email, a physical address in Nigeria,
the name "Tarek Rasshid" [2] , $10/year name servers in Cuba and pay for
using Visa gift credit card bought in Malaysia.

[1] 20 million new domains each year, just 20% growth on what we have now.

[2] http://www.angelfire.com/tx/afira/arabic1.html

--
Simon J. Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.