Re: Ethernet won (was: RE: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband...)

  • From: Christian Kuhtz
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 01:39:50 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, [email protected] wrote:
Sure, as long as you're willing to fork over the cash for CPE capable of
handling OC-XX linecards. The service cost is hardly the only cost
associated with buying that kind of bandwidth. It's amusing to me that
we're worrying about FTTH when some of the largest carriers are still not
capable of delivering ethernet handoffs in some of those same top 30 cities.
Don't we need to get there first before we start wiring everyone's home with
fiber and a small router with an SFP?

Bell Atlantic had ethernet access since the early 1990's, along with FDDI, SMDS, ATM, etc, etc, etc and whatever else various

NMLI (native mode LAN interconnect or today it'd be called metro e) has actually been available by a variety of LECs around the same time frame.