Re: [funsec] Not so fast, broadband providers tell big users (fwd)

  • From: Pekka Savola
  • Date: Wed Mar 14 02:29:10 2007

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
I would like to blame the idiots that decided that of the signal range
to be used on copper for dsl, only a certain amount would be dedicated
to upload instead of negotiating. What on earth do I want to do with
24Mb down and 1Mb up? Can't I have 12 and 12? Someone please tell me
there's a valid reason why the download range couldn't be variable and
negotiated and that's it's completely impossible for one to have 20Mb up
and 1.5 Mb down.

VDSL2 ITU G.993.2 supports variable and symmetric negotiation of rates. obviously distance is a factor, cause you're down to ~50Mb/s at 1000 meters.

at&t and bell south, now at&t and at&t had vdsl rollouts that could in
theory be upgraded to vdsl2.

If you were in helsinki, I know Päijät-Hämeen Puhelin (php.fi) would
sell you 100/24 vdsl2 for around 80euro a month.

As cable was mentioned in earlier posts.. There are also (proprietary) solutions leveraging cable for symmetric 10/10 or 100/100 Mbit/s.

One example I'm aware of is Teleste's ETTH technology:
http://www.teleste.fi/index.phtml?page_id=1114&navi_id=1114