RE: IP adresss management verification

  • From: chuck goolsbee
  • Date: Mon Nov 13 12:23:08 2006

From: [email protected]
 SSL is a technical justification for separate IP
 addresses for web hosts. Virtual servers is another
 technical justification for assigning multiple IP
 addresses to a single physical server.
What I meant was we require a technical justification to
give a dedicated IP to a customer
As do we.

but many hosts do not,
or they use it as a revenue add by charging for having
a dedicated IP when there's no technical reason for it.
The most ridiculous justification these days is the urban myth** that having sites with unique IP addresses, and preferably from different /24 networks, somehow magically increases your "SEO" and lands you atop the pagerank heap.

Previously, or maybe still, there was no mandate that web
hosts only assign dedicated IP's when it can be justified.
ARIN seems to have gone dark on that subject.

** I assume it is myth, but I've never heard anyone from Google make any statements that definitively debunks it. Debunking this pervasive among webmasters and "SEO Experts" myth sure would be a very UN-evil thing to do if true (Hint hint you Google-folk!)

It pisses me off to no end when a sales guy comes to me with a request from a customer for a /20 for a half-rack of web servers. The justification ALWAYS comes down to this inane "search engine optimization" pipe dream. =\

--chuck goolsbee ***

*** Waiting now for ~246 hours for Yahoo!Mail human beings to contact me within their promised "48 hours".