Re: Practical Common Practice for Collocation Access

  • From: Mike Hughes
  • Date: Tue Oct 24 06:17:18 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Sean Donelan wrote:

Is it enough of a problem, network operators would be interested in publishing some Practical Common Practices (I hesitate to call it a BCP)
collocation facilities could follow for some common access control scenarios? Tenent access, pre-screened carrier, unscreened vendor, etc.
It's something which is being looked at in the UK right now as well (as LLU expands, as well as non-PTT/CO housing locations).

So, I think it's probably worth doing, and maybe try to harmonise as much as possible internationally, so that we don't have the ID "xenophobia" Joa eluded to.

I wouldn't be surprised if most co-lo's don't actually have good reasons why they do some things, and if presented with a reasonable industry agreed practice, would adopt it.
Totally agree with that assertion. Some just do things because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time, and the history of "why?" is often lost along the way, so that when someone challenges it later, no one can substantiate why the rule exists.

Cheers,
Mike