Re: [nanog] Re: wrt joao damas' DLV talk on wednesday

  • From: Dan Mahoney, System Admin
  • Date: Wed Jun 14 13:10:40 2006

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Randy Bush wrote:

I don't profess to speak for ISC here, but it may be worth noting
that ISC staff continue to spend a lot of time travelling to operator
meetings, workshops, root server installations and RIR and ICANN
meetings. Outreach and community participation is one of the core
things that ISC does.

It's not unreasonable to think that for a lot of zone operators
(ccTLD or otherwise), the mountain will eventually come to Mohammed,
and travel by the zone operator won't be necessary.
can you say "does not scale?"  or how about "works poorly when a
zone is transferred?"
Almost anyone on this list would have been at the NANOG meeting -- in my case, I'd spoken with Joao weeks ago about establishing this for my own zone -- suggesting that since I'm in NYC (right near the F-root) that someone should be close. While ISC doesn't have anyone routinely in NYC, that was actually one of his questions "are you going to be at NANOG?" -- and had it not been for a conflict of vacation time for something I have to attend THIS weekend, I would likely have been there, and this would heva been a done deal, at least on my end.

People's PGP keys get signed by people they know and meet in person, but people don't allocate travel budgets to get it done (unless your name was Phil Zimmerman back in the day when PGP was the indespensible sellable "product").

-Dan

i think there is no question that you and isc mean well.  but we've
entered the the twisty passages of security.

randy

--

"I love you forever eternally."

-Connaian Expression