Re: Viral Cure Could 'Immunise' The Internet

  • From: Edward Lewis
  • Date: Fri Dec 09 09:59:33 2005

At 9:30 -0500 12/9/05, [email protected] wrote:
Thought folks might find this interesting

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8403

Viral Cure Could 'Immunise' The Internet, New Scientist

Excerpts: A cure for computer viruses that spreads in a viral fashion could
immunise the internet, even against pests that travel at lightning speed, a
mathematical study reveals.

Most conventional anti-virus programs use "signatures" to identify and block
viruses. But experts must first analyse a virus before sending out the fix.
This means that rapidly spreading viruses can cause widespread damage before
being stopped.

Source: Viral Cure Could 'Immunise' The Internet, Kurt Kleiner, NewScientist,
05/12/01
This has been thought of many times. My spin around this was attached to DARPA's Active Network (http://www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/AN/).

The eternal question in security is "what are you defending against?" Because of that, security will always have a strong reactionary element.

I can't cite any, but I recall hearing some claims that viruses in the past were meant to fix problems or highlight in a benign way the presence of problems. It's been tried in real life, I don't see that a mathematical study is going to come up with a result that is more meaningful.
Edward Lewis +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

3 months to the next trip. I guess it's finally time to settle down and
find a grocery store.