Re: And Now for Something Completely Different (was Re: IPv6 news)

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Mon Oct 17 12:51:45 2005

Paul,

This is completely orthogonal to a real identifier/locator split, which would divide what we know of as the 'address' into two separate spaces, one which says "where" the node is, topologically, and one which says "who" the node is.
Hmm, no idea whether it's a good idea or not, but from POV of scaling while it might make 'where' scaleable, you still have to find a way to tie "who" to "where".

True. Even better, you get to change this binding (mobility) or have multiple bindings (multihoming).

Some might say we already have this split though, DNS.

True enough, but unfortunately, it's not done in a way that we can make use of the identifier in the routing subsystem or in the transport protocols.

Tony