Re: soBGP deployment

  • From: Daniel Karrenberg
  • Date: Wed May 25 12:06:05 2005

On 23.05 22:13, Tony Li wrote:
> ... We,
> as responsible operators/architects/vendors/coders need to pick a
> solution and field it.  It may well be an interim solution, but we MUST
> act, and soon.  We are already seeing the stress patterns, without
> reinforcement it is only a matter of time before we see wholesale
> fractures.  Given that any solution will have an implementation and
> deployment delay, we dare not wait much longer.

>From discussions with large operators during NANOG week it is clear to
me that at this point most will simply not deploy anything that
dynamically interacts with their inter-domain routing (BGP).  All are
comforatble with deploying something that works via the current
mechanism of periodically built configurations.  In fact most said to
wait for something that would take some of the heuristics out of that
process.  We will not get any deployment unless either that attitude
changes or we engineer taking it into account.  I prefer the latter.

To me the first stage of any deployment becomes obvious then:
Map the fucntionality of s*BGP into tools to build routing configurations
from signed information distributed by whatever means. This will make rapid
deployment possible with a high comfort level for operators which is key!
It would bring immediate benefits and help us build and understand the
databases that are necessary. In parallel we can develop more dynamic
ways of distributing the information and interacting with BGP.
If the design and trust model of s*BGP is indeed well conceived this
will be attractive enough for operators to see deployment.

Note that I am not advocating routing registries. I agree with those that
consider them a failure although I have been a long time supporter.
The idea is to start building the (signed) meta-information and using it
as additional input to the configuration generation already done by operators.
Ideally this would quickly obsolete from routing registries and many heuristics.

Can such a first step of an incremental deployment be designed for any of s*BGP?

Daniel