Re: soBGP deployment

  • From: Tony Li
  • Date: Tue May 24 01:14:31 2005

> i receive a bgp announcement from a new peer, but the announcement
> was originated two weeks ago (shockers!  a stable route); was the
> asserted path to my new peer valid when the announcement was
> originated two weeks ago?  once your mind starts down such paranoid
> paths, the void opens before one's eyes.

Which is EXACTLY why we need to remember that we are NOT trying to come
up with the perfect solution.  We have operational issues *TODAY* that
we are trying to address.

- We have people (admittedly accidentally) advertising prefixes that
  they do not own and thereby overloading BGP.  See the talk at the
  latest NANOG.

- We have people intentionally out there forging /24's as an attack.

- We have OTHER people out there flooding the networks with their /24's
  so that they are less vulnerable to attack by forged /24's, and
  thereby exacerbating the BGP overload problem.

Almost any of the popular proposals (and some of the really old ones)
will address all of these issues.  But only if they are deployed.  We,
as responsible operators/architects/vendors/coders need to pick a
solution and field it.  It may well be an interim solution, but we MUST
act, and soon.  We are already seeing the stress patterns, without
reinforcement it is only a matter of time before we see wholesale
fractures.  Given that any solution will have an implementation and
deployment delay, we dare not wait much longer.

Tony